I am proud to be participating in the Euro City Cycle to raise money for the British Heart Foundation.
On 16th June last year I had a Heart Attack. I was very lucky. I was treated immediately and haven’t experienced any complications. There are lots of people that aren’t so lucky: 1 in 3 people that have Heart Attacks in the UK don’t even make it to hospital. Unfortunately, heart and circulatory disease remains the UK’s biggest killer and affects thousands of families and individuals:
- There are around 103,000 heart attacks in the UK each year
- There are nearly 2.3 million people living with coronary heart disease in the UK
- Nearly one in six men and more than one in ten women die from coronary heart disease
- Every seven minutes someone dies of a heart attack in the UK
- The UK spends nearly £2 billion each year on the healthcare costs of treating coronary heart disease.
As the nation’s heart charity, the British Heart Foundation plays a leading role in saving and changing lives through:
- Investing in pioneering research into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the heart, which has already saved thousands of lives and improved the lives of thousands more
- Supporting and caring for heart patients through our Heart Helpline and over 400 great BHF Specialist Health Care Professionals
- Providing vital information, through literature and targeted campaigns, that helps everyone reduce their own risk of dying prematurely from a heart or circulatory illness
- Campaigning for change – to improve the lives of children, heart patients and their families.
Find out more at: http://www.bhf.org.uk